One of the key components to becoming an efficient Sith Inquisitor in Star Wars, The Old Republic (SWTOR) is the proper management of force. Currently, there are only of handful of abilities in the Lightning and Madness tree that affect your force. Some I consider must haves, others I consider a waste of trainings.
- Electric Induction - Reduces the Force cost of Force attacks and healing abilities by [3/6/9]%.
- Reserves – Increases your total Force by [50/100].
- Subversion – Reduces the pushback suffered while activating Lightning Strike, Chain Lightning and Thundering Blast by [35 / 70]%. In addition, Lightning Strike has a [50 / 100]% chance to increase your Force regeneration rate by 10% for 10 seconds. Stacks up to 3 times.
Let’s assume we have 3 stacks of Subversion to give us 30% for 10 seconds. That equates to an increase in Force Regen by 2.4 (Force Regen 8 X 30% = 2.4 Force) This ability does refresh itself if you cast Lightning Strike before the time elapses. However, in my opinion this ability is not as good as it sounds. With the GCD at 1.5 seconds, as soon as you cast your last Lightning Strike you are left with 8.5 seconds. Lightning Strike has a 1.5 second activation time, so you are really left with 7 seconds. It is very difficult to keep 3 stacks of this, you basically need this spell in your rotation every 3rd or 4th spell otherwise you lose all 3 stacks and need to start over.
- Lightning Effusion - Force attacks that critically hit have a [50 / 100]% chance to grant Lightning Effusion, reducing the Force cost of your next two Force abilities by 50%. Additionally reduces the cooldown of Force Speed by [5 / 10] seconds.
This passive ability really starts shining as your critical rate goes up. This is ability can single-handedly eliminate all force issues and you should easily be able to go an entire Warzone without running out of force.
- Sith Efficacy – Reduces the pushback suffered while activating Crushing Darkness and Force Lightning by [25 / 50 / 75]%. In addition, each time your Force Lightning deals damage, you have a [33.33 / 66.67 / 100]% chance to recover 1% of your total Force.
Assuming you have Reserves, this ability basically gives you 6 Force every time you cast Force Lightning. It is so much better than Subversion since we cast Force Lightning quite often to try and proc Wrath.
In conclusion, of all the force reducing abilities Lightning Effusion is hands down the best ability. However, it is fairly deep into the Lightning Tree requiring 17 trainings at a minimum. This leave the sorceror with 24 trainings left, which prohibits having access to the last 2 tiers in the Corruption or Madness tree. Without Lightning Effusion, sooner or later you will have force issues and in some warzones it is very difficult to get out of combat to Seethe.